Today we are going to discuss about, “why you need mobile friendly site” and “reasons responsive design is critical for your website”. Make sure you read this one with a cup of coffee or a glass of beer because this post is around 2000+ words long. It’s a known fact that Mobile Users are expanding exponentially and if your blog is not optimized for mobiles or tablets then you are going to miss a huge number of visitors to your blog. Let’s take a look what are we going to learn from this post.
What You Will Learn
Why you need to Optimize Your Website for Mobile Users
Advantages of Mobile Optimized Website
How To: Testing Mobile Optimized Sites
What problems a mobile user face while visiting your website
How to optimize your blog for mobile devices?
Starting Up – The Current Scenario
Smartphones and tablets are hot topics these days. A lot of Smartphones and tablets are released each and every day. And these Smartphones and tablets are quite powerful, or even at times powerful than the traditional PC. With so much power, there are a lot of functions that these Smartphones and tablets can do seamlessly.
Web browsing is one of them. Browsing the web on a mobile device such as a Smartphone or a tablet is too much flexible and convenient these days, than to do the same via a PC. Smartphone and tablet screen sizes, along with multi-tasking abilities and mobile optimized web browsing makes browsing the web from a mobile device much more enjoyable today, than it was years ago. With billions of Smartphones and tablets out there, and with great software and mobile optimized web browsers supporting them, it makes sense, real sense, for us webmasters, to optimize our websites and blogs for mobile devices as well, the same way we optimize our blogs for desktops.
Why Does Mobile Optimization Matter?
Image Credit – SocialMediaExaminer
Nowadays, people are obsessed with speed in technology. We want faster data speeds, faster processor, faster experience and everything faster. In such a scenario, if your blog is not optimized for mobile browsers, it will in turn slow down the loading time of your blog really badly on mobile devices, and will also affect the experience of the users in navigating through your blog. Moreover, if your blog is not mobile optimized, flowing through pages within your blog from a mobile device will be a huge pain for users as well.
Should You Optimize Your Blog for Mobile Devices?
Well, after knowing about optimizing blogs for mobile devices, and the importance of optimizing one’s blog for mobile devices in today’s time, the next most obvious question popping up in your mind might be, “Should I optimize my blog for mobile devices as well?”
The importance of your blog being friendly for mobile browsers depends on how many visits your blog receives from mobile devices, overall. To get a correct perspective on this, you can simply use your Google Analytics details. If you have Google Analytics set up for your blog [which you must have anyway], then simply go to the Audience section of the Google Analytics dashboard of your blog, then move to Mobile and then click on Overview. Now you will be able to see how many visits your blog is receiving from mobile devices, accurately.
If you are getting a lot of visitors from mobile devices, and if your blog is not optimized for mobile devices, then you are missing out a lot already. If you are getting a lot of visits on your blog from mobile devices, then you should try to optimize your blog for mobile devices as much as you can quickly to get better advantages.
However, if your blog is only getting negligible views from mobile devices on an average, then you need not worry about optimizing your blog for mobile devices.
Anyhow, our advice to you would be to better optimize your blog and its content for mobile devices, without considering how popular your blog is on mobile devices.
Advantages of Optimizing Blog for Mobile Devices:
Below are some of the advantages of optimizing your blog for mobile devices:
- As I said earlier, one of the most important factors why you should optimize your blog for mobile devices is indeed the fact that there are many users who nowadays use their mobile devices such as Smartphones and tablets a lot to surf the web, rather than computers. Therefore, optimizing your blog for mobile devices will help you gather more views for your blog and popularize your blog as well.
- Optimizing your blog for mobile devices will help you monetize your blog better as well. Many major advertising platforms such as Google Adsense, provides special ad units specially optimized for mobile devices. And as many more users are using mobile devices to browse the web than before, optimizing your blog for mobile devices and then placing mobile friendly advertisements will help you gather more conversions and earn more from your blog than you already do as well.
- People who use Smartphones, tablets or other mobile devices are better integrated with social media’s than others. This means, regular users of mobile devices are rather active on social media’s. This is mainly due to the seamless and functional social media experience that mobile devices provide these days. Hence, if more people from the mobile devices surf through your blog and find your content interesting, there are really great chances of them sharing your content on popular social media platforms such as Facebook, Twitter and Google Plus. This would return you with a lot of increase in web traffic towards your blog and will increase your blog’s ranking as well.
How Mobile Optimized is Your Blog – Test it.
If you are already trying out different techniques to make your blog more mobile friendly, and if you are confused on actually how mobile friendly your blog is, then this is the answer you were searching for.
There are a lot of online tools, both free and paid, that can help you check your blog on the basis of how mobile optimized it is. In fact, Google itself has an online tool to help webmasters like you to decide how mobile optimized their website or blog is.
How to Mo Go is a site under Google’s guidance and supervision that gives valuable tips on mobile optimization to webmasters, that too free of cost. This tool also helps you to analyze how mobile optimized your blog really is, when compared to other competing blogs globally.
To test the responsiveness of your website visit this site and test how your website looks on different devices or width.
Don’t forget to read this post to make your blog mobile friendly with PageSpeed insight –
Yet another simple way to check how mobile optimized your blog is, to check it yourself. Grab a mobile device yourself, load up your blog and understand the ways by which your blog can be more mobile friendly. You can use your own views on how a blog should be, when viewed from a mobile device, and then apply these techniques to your blog as well.
Common Problems Faced by Mobile Users while Surfing the Web:
One of the prime and basic things to do, before actually optimizing your blog for mobile devices, is to understand what the needs of visitor are and what problems that they face while visiting a non-mobile optimized blog from their mobile devices.
By doing so, you can straightly target on improving these key areas on your blog, and you can easily and efficiently optimize your blog for mobile devices, without actually scratching your head on how to optimize your blog for mobile devices easily.
If you are unaware of the most common problems faced by users while visiting blogs that are not optimized for mobile devices, below are some of such issues:
- Too much scrolling and zooming: If your blog is not optimized for mobile devices, then users will have to do a lot of pinch to zoom and scrolling in order to access all the content on each and every corner of your blog. This can be really annoying. Especially, if your blog has some important content towards the corners or if your blog has too much text in the body. Reading blog posts from blogs that are not optimized for mobile devices from such devices is really irritating.
- Annoying Sidebars: Sidebar is usually the place where we feature a lot of widgets and advertisements that increases the utility and functionality of our blogs. However, when viewing a blog from a smaller display like that of a Smartphone or tablet, sidebar content can get annoying at times. Especially when the sidebar of your blog features a lot of content or ads, it slows down the page loading time as well.
- Content Not Scaled: While viewing the content of a blog from a mobile device, if it’s not really mobile optimized, then the texts, videos, pictures etc. in the post body will not adjust with the screen size of the mobile device. Thus creating effort and issues for readers to reach your content efficiently from a mobile device.
How to Optimize your Blog for Mobile Devices:
If you are really keen to optimize your blog and its content for mobile devices, then below is how you can meet maximum compatibility of your blog with mobile devices:
- Choose a Better Theme: Themes play an important role in a blog’s success. A good theme can make a blog look professional and at the same time, a poor theme can make a blog look of less quality, no matter how valuable the content is. There are a lot of theme vendors providing themes for all major blogging platforms such as Blogger and WordPress. And nowadays, theme developers take special concerns to optimize their theme for mobile devices as well. And using such a mobile optimized theme is one of the most basic and helpful method to optimize your blog for mobile devices.
- Remove Sidebar: Not everyone might like this choice. However, if you truly want your blog to be 100% mobile friendly, then it is highly recommended that you remove the sidebar from your blog’s theme layout for mobile devices. Well, don’t remove it completely; just disable your sidebar for mobile devices from the theme settings.
- Use Compatible Fonts: There might be some fonts which cannot be rendered properly in a mobile device or some fonts which, when viewed from a mobile device is quite hard to understand. Yet another effective way to optimize your blog for mobile devices is to avoid such fonts and use fonts in your blog’s content that can be easily recognized and also make sure that the font size is also big enough to view easily.
- Optimize Blog Ads: Many popular advertisement firms like the Google Adsense, provides us with mobile optimized versions of the advertisement widget. Placing these mobile optimized advertisements effectively on your blog will make sure that it does not hinder the experience of a reader while viewing your blog, or slow down the loading speed of your blog. But however, will surely increase the conversion rates on your blog from mobile devices. Hence, using such mobile optimized advertisements is highly recommended.
- Use WPtouch: WPtouch is a great plugin that helps in converting your website or blog to the mobile friendly version.
- It takes few minutes to install and to make your site perfect for mobile phones. Click here to download WPtouch.
Well, that was a very detailed guide on what is mobile optimization, why is it important for your blog, advantages of mobile optimization of blogs, and finally, some quick yet quite effective ways to optimize your blog and its content for mobile devices. I hope you found this article easy, understanding and helpful. If you did find it helpful, then please do not hesitate to share this over the web. And if you know about any other effective ways to optimize a blog for mobile devices, then please do share those techniques in the comment section below.