File Sharing is a very common operation which we perform almost on a daily basis. Be it a movie, a bunch of documents or some songs, the usual way is to use a USB thumb drive. But in case you don’t have it, you have to use cloud services and Internet is not free everywhere and nor is very fast. This is where your Wi-Fi on your Mac comes in. Shareit is one such app that uses Wi-Fi to transfer files very fast but is on Android. However worry not; you can use it on your Mac just as well. How? Read on…
Read more: Flipboard for PC (Windows 7/8/8.1/XP)
Shareit – The App
The Shareit app from Lenovo has one simple purpose – to allow file transfers wirelessly by using your Wi-Fi which does not require any Internet connection. Also as Wi-Fi is used instead of Bluetooth, file transfer is extremely fast. It also supports group sharing where up to 5 people can join in a network and exchange files. While on android you can also share your apps, using this you can share all kinds of files from your Mac to any other PC or Mac or with smartphones and tablets. Let us have a look at how to make Shareit for Mac work.
Shareit for Mac
In order to run this Android app, we will use an application that emulates the Android environment – Bluestacks. This software not only enables us to run the app but also lets us access to the Google play store to download the app. The steps are simple:
- Download and install the latest Bluestacks software for Mac.
- On completion, start the software. For the first time, you will need to enter your preferences such as default language. With this done, you will now be asked for your Google account details so that you can access the play store. Create a new account or just use your existing Gmail ID and password.
- Once done, you will be at the home screen. On the top search bar type “Shareit” and search for it.
- Once the search finds the app, it will take you straight to the play store from where you will be required to click on the “Install” button.
- After installation, come back to home screen and click on the app’s icon to launch it.
Transferring files to your Mac
Read more: Flixster for PC – Download For Free!
Bluestacks will store and transfer file which are stored within its own storage area. To transfer your Mac files to Bluestacks, just drag and drop them to the Bluestacks window. To transfer received files to your Mac, install a File manager inside Bluestacks with similar method. Open it and navigate to the location where you saved the file and then copy it to the /bstfolder/ location with appropriate sub-location such as documents or pictures. Now just use Finder to see the file by clicking at the appropriate library where you saved the file.
With these simple methods, we can transfer files easily using Shareit.